mail archive of the rauc mailing list
* [RAUC] Rauch usage hints needed
@ 2019-12-01 10:55 Mauro Condarelli
From: Mauro Condarelli @ 2019-12-01 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rauc

Hi All,
I'm trying to decide if rauch is the right tool for my project.

My target is an embedded Linux with:
- SPI Flash for booting (paleolithic version of U-Boot) and possibly a
initramfs/recovery (16M total)
- A sizable SD card (8G).

Bad problem is SD is very sensitive to "unexpected" shutdowns which I
cannot prevent.

Slots should include:

- uboot (possibly never updated)
  allocated in first Flash partition: /dev/mtd1

- linux kernel (rarely upgraded, if ever)
  allocated in third Flash partition: /dev/mtd3

- recovery (possibly never updated)
  allocated in fourth Flash partition: /dev/mtd4
  probably a SquashFS, but could also be a initramfs (cpio)
  copies of rauc modules could be stored in first SD partition (vfat)
/dev/mmcblk1

- system (rarely upgraded)
  allocated in SD, redundant probably /dev/mmcblk0p2 and /dev/mmcblk0p3
  ext4

- application (often upgraded)
  allocated in SD, redundant probably /dev/mmcblk0p5 and /dev/mmcblk0p6
  ext4 mounted on /home

- accumulated data (initially empty; should be preserved at all cost)
  allocated in SD, not redundant, but possibly backed-up before upgrade.
  ext4 mounted on /srv

At first documentation perusal I saw no direct support for MTD.
My current "solution" relies on a bunch of scripts that are rapidly growing
and a rather complex usage of OverlayFS.
I am thus looking for a "more structured" solution, possibly rauch.

Can someone advise?
I am available to give more info, if needed.

Thanks in Advance
Mauro