mail archive of the rauc mailing list
* [RAUC] RAUC
@ 2018-10-29 10:27 Taimir Aguacil
From: Taimir Aguacil @ 2018-10-29 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rauc

Dear RAUC team,

I attended the embedded Linux conference, and got to know you and see your demo there!
There were still some few open questions that I am putting in this email. It would be very helpful to get the answers.

Right now bundle and network modes are supported, is an update over USB supported ? If not, are there any plans to do so ?
Furthermore, for an update over the air (Using cellular or WLAN), is it possible ? Or do I need to include a mechanism for the bundle download and then use the bundle mode where the bundle is on a partition ?

Thank you in advance.
Best Regards

Taimir Aguacil
Sr. Development Engineer
Radio & Communication Networks

Trapeze Switzerland GmbH
Industrieplatz 3 | 8212 Neuhausen | Switzerland

phone +41 58 911 17 92
fax +41 58 911 11 12
taimir.aguacil@trapezegroup.com<mailto:taimir.aguacil@trapezegroup.com>
www.trapezegroup.com<http://www.trapezegroup.com/>
Proprietary and confidential. Distribution only by express authority of Constellation Software Inc. or its subsidiaries.

* Re: [RAUC] RAUC
@ 2018-10-30  7:39 ` Enrico Joerns
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2018-10-30  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taimir Aguacil; +Cc: rauc

Hi Taimir,

On 10/29/18 11:27 AM, Taimir Aguacil wrote:
> Dear RAUC team,
>
> I attended the embedded Linux conference, and got to know you and see your demo there!
>
> There were still some few open questions that I am putting in this email. It would be very helpful to get the answers.
>
> Right now bundle and network modes are supported, is an update over USB supported ? If not, are there any plans to do so ?

maybe this needs some clarification: 'Bundle' is the data/archive format that we use for packing or unpacking the update artifacts and meta information.
This is not tied to any update *source*, which (potentially) could be quite everything from a µSD Card, over a USB stick to a network upload or whatever.

The real 'network mode' you might refer to, is deprecated in RAUC and will not gain further development.
This in fact was a 'non-bundle mode' using a signed manifest and requiring to download the install artifacts separately from a server.

However, this does not limit usage over network. Rather, it has been replaced by the more powerful usage of casync for chunked delta-like downloads.

In most cases the right way to go is to let an independent unit handle the provisioning of the bundle, e.g. by mounting a USB stick, downloading a file over network / internet, or whatever,
and then trigger RAUC (using D-Bus or CLI) with the path tho this (local or remote) bundle and let it do the rest of the work.

We have some examples code for some scenarios, e.g. for using a CGI or interacting with hawkbit, but our opinion is that the bundle source handling is quite use-case specific.

> Furthermore, for an update over the air (Using cellular or WLAN), is it possible ? Or do I need to include a mechanism for the bundle download and then use the bundle mode where the bundle is on a partition ?

This basically picks up the same questions I hopefully answered on the previous question already.
In general, when you download an update, there are two options: (1) either you need to have some temporary storage for the entire artifact (e.g. a data partition, or RAM) or (2) you can stream the data directly into your target device / partition.
The latter is what casync bundles [1][2] offer you.

Also note that when using tar and compression the downloaded image might be much smaller than the actual partition it should be installed to.

I hope that answers your question. Please also consider subscribing to this Mailing list as, by default, it does not allow non-members to post questions (to prevent Spam).

Best regards,
Enrico

[1] https://rauc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced.html#rauc-casync-support
[2] http://0pointer.net/blog/casync-a-tool-for-distributing-file-system-images.html

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |

* Re: [RAUC] RAUC
@ 2018-10-30 11:27   ` Taimir Aguacil
From: Taimir Aguacil @ 2018-10-30 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico Joerns; +Cc: rauc

Hi Enrico,

Thank you for your detailed answer. This clarified some confusions.

How do I subscribe to the mailing list ?

BR

@ 2018-10-30 11:42     ` Enrico Joerns
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2018-10-30 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taimir Aguacil; +Cc: rauc

Hi Taimir,

On 10/30/18 12:27 PM, Taimir Aguacil wrote:
> Hi Enrico,
>
> Thank you for your detailed answer. This clarified some confusions.

great :)

> How do I subscribe to the mailing list ?

Either visit the mailto-links here: https://www.rauc.io/pages/support.html

or 'manually' send a Mail with subject 'subscribe' to rauc-request@pengutronix.de.

Best regards

Enrico