mail archive of the rauc mailing list
* [RAUC] Porting RAUC to OpenWRT
@ 2018-12-06 13:45 Andreas Kurzkurt
From: Andreas Kurzkurt @ 2018-12-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rauc

Hello

We are trying to port the RAUC client to our OpenWRT system.
But we are facing many problems at this moment.
Our OpenWRT Version is "DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge, 12009)".
Does anybody have experience in porting RAUC to another Linux distribution
and can help us. The RAUC client depends on many different libraries that
we do not have in our system.

Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
i. A. Andreas Kurzkurt
Entwicklung
M-Tronic Design and Technology GmbH
Im Großen Gunterstal 8
66440 Blieskastel
Germany

Geschäftsführer: Bernd Koppermann
Hauptsitz: Oberhäuser Str. 12, 73098 Rechberghausen
Amtsgericht Ulm HBR 533579
Tel: +49 (0)6842-96125-17
Fax:+49 (0)6842-96125-99
kurzkurt@m-tronic-dt.de
<mailto:kurzkurt@m-tronic-dt.de>www.m-tronic-dt.de<http://www.m-tronic-dt.de/>
Der Inhalt dieses E-Mails ist ausschließlich für den bezeichneten
Adressaten bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisnahme, Veröffentlichung,
Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieses E-Mails durch
unberechtigte Dritte ist unzulässig. Wir bitten Sie, sich mit dem Absender
des E-Mails in Verbindung zu setzen, falls Sie nicht der Adressat dieses
E-Mails sind, und das Material von Ihrem Computer zu löschen.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the addressee. The perusal, publication, copying or dissemination of the
contents of this e-mail by unauthorised third parties is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please delete it and
immediately notify the sender.

* Re: [RAUC] Porting RAUC to OpenWRT
@ 2018-12-06 14:00 ` Enrico Joerns
       [not found]   ` <5adce2d88bac42bc9ac4f713554573f6@m-tronic-dt.de>
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2018-12-06 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kurzkurt; +Cc: rauc

Hi Andreas,

On 12/6/18 2:45 PM, Andreas Kurzkurt wrote:
> Hello
>
> We are trying to port the RAUC client to our OpenWRT system.
> But we are facing many problems at this moment.
> Our OpenWRT Version is „DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge, 12009)“.
> Does anybody have experience in porting RAUC to another Linux distribution
> and can help us. The RAUC client depends on many different libraries that
> we do not have in our system.

RAUC should be relatively distribution-independent.

Which libraries does it depend on that you do not have available?

It mainly needs glib as base library and openssl for all (mandatory) crypto stuff.

For (optional) network handling it also needs libcurl.

But I wouldn't call that 'many different libraries'... ;)

Best Regards, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |

@ 2018-12-06 14:17     ` Enrico Joerns
       [not found]       ` <89a7cd07207b4d318aa55628f177f3c0@m-tronic-dt.de>
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2018-12-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kurzkurt; +Cc: rauc

Hi Andreas,

(please keep the list in CC)

On 12/6/18 3:04 PM, Andreas Kurzkurt wrote:
> Hi
>
> At the moment we are struggeling to build the following two libraries that you did not mention.
> libresolv.so.2

ouhm, we do? Mabye it's a dependency of curl?

> libjson-glib-1.0.so.0
> First of all we are trying to build " libjson-glib-1.0.so.0" which seems to be very complicated.

If you do not need json support, you can disable it.
If you do nto need network support, you can disable it.

Try ./configure --help

Or short:

./configure --disable-json --disable-network

Best regards, Enrico

--

@ 2018-12-07 12:48         ` Enrico Joerns
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2018-12-07 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kurzkurt; +Cc: rauc

Hi Andreas,

(please keep the list in CC)

On 12/7/18 1:18 PM, Andreas Kurzkurt wrote:
> Hi Enrico
>
> Now we are one big step ahead. We managed to compile the RAUC client.
> But now we get an error message when we start the RAUC client.
> Our Linux Distribution has no Systemd. The RAUC client should run without systemd.
> We also managed to install DBUS on our linux system.
>
>> rauc -c /etc/rauc/rauc.conf status
> Failed to resolve realpath for '/dev/nfs'

ok, thus this is an NFS boot?
RAUC should be able to detect NFS boots and handle properly.
Which version do you use?

> Failed to obtain name de.pengutronix.rauc

Did you start the service before, too?
Are you sure it is compiled with D-Bus support?

Not that this mainly needs the configuration file.
At least with 1.0-rc1 the client will fully communicate over D-Bus.

Normally this can be done using D-Bus activation. We have Make source files for this in the data/ folder.
Calling `make install` should place all this files properly with the right content set.

Maybe it's also worth looking at what build systems do with it, such as Yocto / OE or PTXdist.

We mainly use systemd for testing, but InitV is basically supported, too.

> Our config file is:
> [system]
> compatible=rauc-demo-x86
> bootloader=uboot
> mountprefix=/mnt/rauc
>
> [keyring]
> path=demo.cert.pem
>
> [slot.rootfs.0]
> device=/dev/mtdblock3
> type=ubifs
> bootname=A
>
> [slot.rootfs.1]
> device=/dev/mtdblock5
> type=ubifs
> bootname=B

The config looks fine basically and should have nothing to do with the issues you see.

Best regards,

Enrico

--

@ 2018-12-10 13:17           ` Andreas Kurzkurt
From: Andreas Kurzkurt @ 2018-12-10 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico Joerns; +Cc: rauc

Hi Enrico

As far as we can see now the RAUC client is working OK.
Thanks for your help. Maybe we have further questions in the future.

Best regards
Andreas

@ 2018-12-10 13:22             ` Enrico Joerns
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2018-12-10 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kurzkurt; +Cc: rauc

Hi Andreas,

On 12/10/18 2:17 PM, Andreas Kurzkurt wrote:
> Hi Enrico
>
> As far as we can see now the RAUC client is working OK.

good to hear!

> Thanks for your help. Maybe we have further questions in the future.

Just a short note as I am not sure if I've pointed that out explicitly
and for the case you did not find out that yourself anyway:
If you don't need D-Bus you can also compile RAUC to run entirely without
by building it with --disable-service.

Best regards, Enrico