mail archive of the rauc mailing list
From: "Enrico Jörns" <ejo@pengutronix.de>
To: Manuel Duran Flores <mduran@televes.com>, rauc@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [RAUC] One more question about RAUC
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:54:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Manuel,

Am Dienstag, dem 20.12.2022 um 10:33 +0100 schrieb Manuel Duran Flores:
> Hello RAUC company!

note that this is a community mailing list.

> I have only one more question about RAUC.
>
> First of all, many thanks for your last reply!

You are welcome, but, is there a specific reason why you open a new thread? One benefit of mail
Communication is that you can have conversation threads and cite answers for reference and context.

To make this transparent, I guess you refer to this mail:

https://lore.rauc.io/rauc/34fc429817f634218dabbe8b3f7933ba7b4514ae.camel@pengutronix.de/T/#u

> Regarding Enrico's answer , and the problem of Adaptive update vs NAND
> FLash. In the last email, Enrico told a solution of this problem exists,
> although it could be more complicated. So I need to know if I could have
> access to this solution, because in the blog there is only a link to
> contact you. So, do I have to contact you that way to see the solution?
> Can you give me an URL?

The Pengutronix blog post you reference is:

https://www.pengutronix.de/de/blog/2022-10-12-rauc-adaptive-updates.html

The note from my mail was:

> It also notes that supporting NAND is potentially possible but requires some extended
> implementation. Not sure if this is what you wanna start with, but if there is really interest, the
> two options on how to gain the feature are mentioned there ;)

Where I refer to this box note in the blog post:

| The block-hash-index method does not work with NAND / UBIFS yet.
|
| If an adaption for NAND is required, feel free to contact us or to discuss and contribute via GitHub.

I would assume that this already clearly stated it but: there is NO ready solution hidden somewhere.
We have just thought about what would be required technically to add support for this.

Thus the two solutions are either to hire Pengutronix (or any open source consulting company) to
implement this for you or to implement this yourself with the aid of the RAUC community and
contribute it back.

For the latter (or anyway), a good starting point should be to open a GitHub Discussion or an RFE
Issue where you describe your needs since GitHub is our primary tool for tracking the project.

> I'm assuming this is all free, from what I've read RAUC is pure open
> source, but I could be confused.

This is true and also soft copyleft as enforced the (LGPL) license.
But since it is meant to be FOSS, new features only make it into the mainline project if someone
contributes them to the project.

> I hope you can help me. Thanks a lot !!

I hope I could clarify some aspects.

Best regards

Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Embedded Linux Consulting & Support        | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |