mail archive of the rauc mailing list
From: "Kilimci, Caglar" <caglar.kilimci@accenture.com>
To: Enrico Joerns <ejo@pengutronix.de>
Cc: "rauc@pengutronix.de" <rauc@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [RAUC] [External] Re:  Custom Installation
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 12:54:38 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Enrico,

Thank you for your reply.

>> rauc:ERROR:../git/src/install.c:294:determine_target_install_group:
>> assertion failed (slotclasses->len > 0): (0 > 0) Jul 12 11:03:20 phyboard-regor-am335x-1 daemon.notice systemd[1]: rauc.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT Jul 12 11:03:20 phyboard-regor-am335x-1 daemon.notice systemd[1]: rauc.service: Unit entered failed state.
>> Jul 12 11:03:21 phyboard-regor-am335x-1 daemon.warn systemd[1]: rauc.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
>
>hm, it looks as if you have a system.conf that does not have any slots defined, yet. Is that true?

Actually there are 2 stots. Here is the system.conf:
root@phyboard-regor-am335x-1:~# cat /etc/rauc/system.conf
[system]
compatible=Phytec
bootloader=barebox

[keyring]
path=ca.cert.pem

[slot.rootfs.0]
device=/dev/mmcblk0p2
type=ext4
bootname=system1

[slot.rootfs.1]
device=/dev/mmcblk0p3
type=ext4
bootname=system2

>RAUC is not designed for this very special case it seems and I am not sure if it should support this.
It would be so good and introduce new functiality. As an example, a deployment server for updates is already requirement. With this functionality, this deployment server can deploy a custom script, too. In addition, there is not so much development involved because RAUC already has "this" function.

>> PS: By the way, documentation of handler [1] is out of date, I guess. Group name is changed from handlers to handler and does not accept key value of *install. If you explain more, I can update and send you pull request.
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>
>Well, this can truely be a bit confusing, but I thing everything is fine for now.
>

>* [handler]
>  This section is for the Bundle *Manifest* and its only purpose is to
>define a full-custom installation behavior (something that should be
>used for debugging or system fixing, only)
>
>* [handlers]
>  This section is for the *System Configuration* and allows to specify
>some handler scripts that can be called during the default installation
>routine, for example as pre- or post-install handlers.
>
>Finally, the similar mechanism as [handlers] exists for Bundle
>*Manifests*, too. Here they are referred to as [hooks] (to not confuse
>too much with then [handler] section).
>

>Hope that pointed it out a bit more clearly?

Yes, thank you.

Best Regards,
Caglar Kilimci