mail archive of the rauc mailing list
* [RAUC] file slot type
@ 2017-05-09  9:40 Middelschulte, Leif
From: Middelschulte, Leif @ 2017-05-09  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rauc

Hi,

I was wondering about the 'file' slot type.

Though it's mentioned in the tests, `rauc bundle` complains about an invalid manifest.

Entries like '[file.uctrl]' within the manifest lead to failure during compilation, while '[image.uctrl]' are accepted.

Is it supposed to work at this point?

Regards,

Leif

* Re: [RAUC] file slot type
@ 2017-05-09 10:12 ` Enrico Joerns
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2017-05-09 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Middelschulte, Leif; +Cc: rauc

Hi Leif,

On 05/09/2017 11:40 AM, Middelschulte, Leif wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering about the 'file' slot type.
>
> Though it's mentioned in the tests, `rauc bundle` complains about an invalid manifest.
>
> Entries like '[file.uctrl]' within the manifest lead to failure during compilation, while '[image.uctrl]' are accepted.
>
> Is it supposed to work at this point?

no, it is not.

The [file] entries seem to be a bit confusing, I agree with you. We just
have a similar discussion on GitHub [1].

When starting with RAUC, we had two major operation modes in mind; 1)
the one that became the standard one now with signed bundles that
contain image artifacts and 2) a so-called 'network' operation mode that
allows to download the manifest and the artifacts described in it
separately from a server. This mode is rarely used and we plan to
replace it with a network mode that works with streaming bundles over
network.

Now, for the network mode aimed to use files instead of images as it
targeted a setup with placing files in an existing file system instead
of writing whole fs images.

To sum up: Using [file.slot/name] is not possible with bundle
installations and migh also become obsolete for the old network
installation mode.

But, in RAUC, everything you can describe as a path in your system could
also be used as a slot for updating. Thus if you need to place (for
whatever reason) files under a special path, you could simply make this
path a slot:

   [slot.uctrl]
   device=/fs/path/to/your/uctrl.img

But also note that in most cases this is an unnecessary hack. You can
simply place your uctrl code withing your rootfs that you update. This
has the great advantage that you will not accidentally update a system
with a uctrl image that is not tested to work properly with the rootfs
installed on that system. Installing only well-tested combinations of
software is an important building block for a robust update strategy!

Best regards

Enrico

[1] https://github.com/rauc/rauc/issues/114

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |