mail archive of the rauc mailing list
* [RAUC] NAND flash
@ 2017-04-05 13:10 caglar.kilimci
From: caglar.kilimci @ 2017-04-05 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rauc

Hello,

I have a question about storage type, NAND. The documentation [1] emphasizes not to use NAND flash but why?

[1] http://rauc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/updating.html?highlight=nand

Sincerely,
Caglar

________________________________

* Re: [RAUC] NAND flash
@ 2017-04-05 14:15 ` Enrico Joerns
From: Enrico Joerns @ 2017-04-05 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caglar.kilimci; +Cc: rauc

Hi Caglar,

On 04/05/2017 03:10 PM, caglar.kilimci@accenture.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about storage type, NAND. The documentation [1] emphasizes not to use NAND flash but why?
>
 > [1] http://rauc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/updating.html?highlight=nand

well, this is a general advice, not something RAUC-specific. RAUC can
handle NAND on the different layers, either for writing raw data with
`nandwrite` or by using 'NAND-filesystems' such as UBI(FS).

But, from ours and others daily experience and knowledge about the
technology the general conclusion is that raw NANDs, especially MLCs,
are very, very hard to handle.
There are many different and hardware-specific effects that you have to
deal with, and if you see how hard for example developers from the UBI
filesystem attempt to solve this, [1] you may also conclude that you
really want to avoid using NANDs on this level.

Our advice instead would be to use eMMCs instead, where all the critical
stuff is hidden and handled internally, by hardware-controllers designed
by those who (hopefully) really know about the quirks of their NAND chips.

I hope I could make that point a little clearer, I know that this
documentation chapter is not our most extensive one, yet. Patches are
always welcome ;)

Best regards

Enrico

[1]
http://free-electrons.com/pub/conferences/2016/elce/brezillon-ubi-mlc/ubi-mlc.pdf

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |