Hello Enrico, Thank you for your reply, and confirmation of my understanding. Due to limit storage space on our device, we need to use a small update/rescue OS and our much larger main OS. I expect our rescue/update OS may just be a script (to start with) to mount the USB drive and run rauc on a pre-set file name, maybe flashing some of our LEDS as it does its work! Kevin Golding On 17/05/2018 16:22, Enrico Joerns wrote: > Hi Kevin, > > On 05/17/2018 04:29 PM, Kevin Golding wrote: >> Hello, >> >> Am just getting my head around RAUC, and wondered if I'm right in >> thinking that a rescue system is not included with RAUC? i.e. I would >> need to find or create a small bootable rescue system that would run >> the RAUC update command say via say from a file on a USB stick? > > conceptually RAUC is a generic update framework that can run on your > Linux device and handle safe and atomic updates of partitions etc. > It does neither provide any ready-to-use distribution nor depend on > any specific. > > Thus building a system is always a task that should be solved outside > of an update tool. With OE/Yocto, PTXdist and buildroot good build > system exists for this that allow you to generate well defined > customized systems in versioned and reproducible manner. > > RAUC also does not depend on any specific source for its update > artifacts. Neither on the production system nor on any rescue system. > You can fetch your update from USB / network / storage media or > whatever fits your concept or platform. > > Nevertheless, conceptually a rescue system is surely supported. A slot > configuration for your rescue system (and the default ones, too) would > look like > >   [slot.rootfs.0] >   device=/dev/mmcblk0p1 >   ... > >   [slot.rootfs.1] >   device=/dev/mmcblk0p1 >   ... > >   [slot.rescue.0] >   device=/dev/sda1 >   ... > > > This would allow detecting RAUC that it is not running from one of the > normal rootfs partitions but from the rescue partition instead and > that it can safely upate the others. > >> If I am right, are there any examples of a rescue system available? > > No. A rescue system can be as small as only a minimal > kernel+initramfs+dtb with RAUC binary + dependencies which will result > in a few kB. Most of the build systems above provide a minimal rootfs > configuration that you can simply extend with RAUC. > > https://rauc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/integration.html > > > Did that roughly point you in the right direction? > > > Best regards, Enrico > >