mail archive of the rauc mailing list
From: Martin Hollingsworth <Martin.Hollingsworth@itk-engineering.de>
To: "RAUC@pengutronix.de" <RAUC@pengutronix.de>
Subject: [RAUC] Bootloader updates
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 09:45:42 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello RAUC Team,
I am currently implementing software update on my embedded target and evaluating the usage of RAUC. But I have trouble finding a solution for the following scenario, which needs a little explanation, but can be summerized as: "How does Rauc handle Bootloader Updates?"

Here is what I want to achieve:

A software release is a combination of multiple software components in specific versions, that have been tested and defined fit for usage together on an embedded target. Lets say a simple example would be a bootloader and a rootFS (which includes linux and some custom software pre-installed).

When I update my system, I secure my linux operating system using a symmetric A/B setup. If the update fails, I can always jump back to the last slot and continue regular device operation.

But when I update my bootloader AND my linux system together, after exchanging the bootloader I cannot jump back to the last running linux, because now the bootloader configuration might not match the configuration expected from the previous bootloader.

How does RAUC approach this issue?

Thanks in advance and greetings,
Martin