mail archive of the rauc mailing list
* [RAUC] RAUC version tagging policy
@ 2019-05-28 21:24 Andreas Pretzsch
From: Andreas Pretzsch @ 2019-05-28 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rauc

Looking into RAUC for a customer project, I decided to go with git HEAD
instead of the last official release.

The "Christmas present" release 1.0 was tagged on 20.12.2018.
Since then, some 57 commits came in. A few of them I'd like to have.

Now, while I am comfortable with referring to some git commit id,
project managers and software department heads are not (always).

Might I suggest a more regular version tagging policy ?
Like every few months latest, or rather when it makes some sense.
Doesn't need to be that regular like ptxdist or barebox, but still...

We all know the technical value of version numbers, and their apparent
promise of stability, yes. But from a "product selling" point of view,
I'm sure it would do more good than harm to RAUC as a project.

Thanks for providing this great piece of concept and software,
  Andreas

--

carpe noctem engineering
Ingenieurbuero fuer Hard- & Software-Entwicklung Andreas Pretzsch

* Re: [RAUC] RAUC version tagging policy
@ 2019-06-05 17:27 ` Enrico Jörns
From: Enrico Jörns @ 2019-06-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Pretzsch; +Cc: rauc

Hi Andreas,

Am 28.05.19 um 23:24 schrieb Andreas Pretzsch:
> Looking into RAUC for a customer project, I decided to go with git HEAD
> instead of the last official release.
>
> The "Christmas present" release 1.0 was tagged on 20.12.2018.
> Since then, some 57 commits came in. A few of them I'd like to have.
>
> Now, while I am comfortable with referring to some git commit id,
> project managers and software department heads are not (always).
>
> Might I suggest a more regular version tagging policy ?
> Like every few months latest, or rather when it makes some sense.
> Doesn't need to be that regular like ptxdist or barebox, but still...
>
> We all know the technical value of version numbers, and their apparent
> promise of stability, yes. But from a "product selling" point of view,
> I'm sure it would do more good than harm to RAUC as a project.

of course there was no intention behind the 'long' time that passed
since the last RAUC release, but I agree with you that it was time for a
new release. Up to now this was only prevented by other workload.

As you might have seen already, we just released RAUC v1.1 today. Thus
you can use all the great new patches without having to refer to git
master state :)

> Thanks for providing this great piece of concept and software,

Thanks to you!

Best regards, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |

* Re: [RAUC] RAUC version tagging policy
@ 2019-07-01 17:15   ` Andreas Pretzsch
From: Andreas Pretzsch @ 2019-07-01 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico Jörns; +Cc: rauc

On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 19:27 +0200, Enrico Jörns wrote:
> of course there was no intention behind the 'long' time that passed
> since the last RAUC release, but I agree with you that it was time
> for a new release. Up to now this was only prevented by other
> workload.

Welcome to my world ;-)

> As you might have seen already, we just released RAUC v1.1 today.
> Thus you can use all the great new patches without having to refer to
> git master state :)

Great, thanks a lot !
Already pulled it in.

Also I noticed you also updated Yocto meta-rauc, thanks.
For PTXdist, I just sent in a version update.

Best regards,
  Andreas